Oh, anxiety, our old friend. Occasional worries, fear, stress—even when you feel a bit overwhelmed by them—are normal for us all. But if anxiety is always showing up uninvited, making you worry yourself sick, cancel plans, and lose sleep—that’s when it may be an anxiety disorder. If that describes you, you’re definitely not alone: generalized anxiety disorder affects a whopping 40 million people—about 3% of the population—in the U.S., and it seems to be on the rise, along with other mental health challenges. It can cause everything from nightmares and panic attacks to racing thoughts, and while it’s a pretty common predicament, it's never fun to deal with! So many things (so. many. things.) can contribute to anxiety, from scrolling social media to being exposed to environmental pollution. It’s more common for anxiety to go hand in hand with conditions like thyroid problems, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), or IBS, but it can also pop up as its own issue because you're worrying about your life and future. (That can be kind of a given when you’re dealing with a chronic illness diagnosis, right?) Fortunately, though, there are lots of different ways to manage anxiety and quiet those pesky, nagging thoughts. Natural remedies like omega-3s, passionflower, kava, magnesium, and other herbs can be helpful. Yoga, and anything that helps you manage stress, might also provide much-needed relief. You can also look to social support (oh hey, WanaFam), and therapy to help you feel better. Remember, there’s no shame in having anxiety. You’re in good company, and you can discover so much support by sharing your experience with others.
Recent posts about Anxiety
I don't like crowds or I don't like talking to people I don't know how to start a conversation like i act all weird and scared that im gonna say something stupid
For the first time in my life, I’m experiencing something I’ve never felt before. When first waking up in the morning, I feel extremely anxious. I don’t know what’s causing that. It’s like a panic button is going off and I’ve got to get up. Has anyone experienced this? What could be causing this?
hi my name is liz I am photographer and I have depression and anxiety and I have hard time making friends I have been screwed over many times by friends or just friends saying were friends and never tak to me help.
- Annual Review of Clinical Psychology. Worry and generalized anxiety disorder: a review and theoretical synthesis of evidence on nature, etiology, mechanisms, and treatment. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology. Worry and generalized anxiety disorder: a review and theoretical synthesis of evidence on nature, etiology, mechanisms, and treatment.
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America. Managing stress and anxiety. Anxiety and Depression Association of America. Managing stress and anxiety.
- Cleveland Clinic. Anxiety: 5 signs that it’s a problem for you. Cleveland Clinic. Anxiety: 5 signs that it’s a problem for you.
- Mayo Clinic. Herbal treatment for anxiety: Is it effective?. Mayo Clinic. Herbal treatment for anxiety: Is it effective?.
- Nutrition Journal. Nutritional and herbal supplements for anxiety and anxiety-related disorders: systematic review. Nutrition Journal. Nutritional and herbal supplements for anxiety and anxiety-related disorders: systematic review.