Constipation: an internal traffic jam that can be a real pain in the…you know! This incredibly common problem is often your gut's way of saying something is not quite right, physically or emotionally. You might be visiting the bathroom far less frequently than you would like, or your stools might be hard and take a long time to pass. You also may have a tight, achy back or a stomach or pelvic ache. These can all be symptoms of a backup in your digestive system. Constipation affects just about everyone at some point. The usual culprits are a crappy diet (sorry, we can’t resist a pun), lack of exercise, stress and anxiety, certain medications (especially pain relievers), and thyroid and other disorders. To get things moving, try eating a nutritious, high-fiber diet (heavy on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes, like beans and lentils), exercising more, staying hydrated, and using a bulk-forming fiber supplement. Other options include colonics, senna, aloe, and acupuncture. If these steps don’t give you relief, talk to your practitioner about your situation. (And don’t be embarrassed; trust us, they’ve heard it all.)
Recent posts about Constipation
so I’m taking a new medicine venlafaxine. It seems to be working OK for my anxiety and depression but at the same time it makes me feel slightly nauseous and I feel I may be a little bit constipated from it too. It helps me a lot and I don’t know if I should stop taking it if it helps me. But maybe the symptoms are only temporary? Maybe I’m just getting used to it? What should I do? Has anyone else ever taking venlafaxine?
I have gastroparesis, ibs/ibsd, and a few other GI issues. I had severe abdominal pain Thursday with small blood in stool and dark not tarry unformed stool. I did not go again until last night. formed stool with lighter amount of blood and the same this morning. is this possibily gastroparesis related from constipation? or should I be concerned and need an occult stool panel?
Any recommendations for supplements that help constipation? I have tried everything on the market but hoping someone can give me something I haven’t tried. naturopathic supps please!!!
For those with IBS, if you have abdominal pain, did it start suddenly? I've only recently been diagnosed with IBS because I started having really bad lower abdominal pain, bloating, and loss of appetite. I've always had issues with constipation and diarrhea but never the bloating, pain, and loss of appetie
- National Institute on Aging. Concerned About Constipation? National Institute on Aging. Concerned About Constipation?
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Constipation. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Constipation.
- Mayo Clinic. Constipation. Mayo Clinic. Constipation.
- Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Complementary and alternative therapies for chronic constipation. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Complementary and alternative therapies for chronic constipation.
- Journal of Wound, Ostomy & Continence Nursing. Prevalence of constipation in the general adult population: an integrative review. Journal of Wound, Ostomy & Continence Nursing. Prevalence of constipation in the general adult population: an integrative review.
- The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. The Influence of electro-acupuncture stimulation to female constipation patients. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. The Influence of electro-acupuncture stimulation to female constipation patients.