Constipation: an internal traffic jam that can be a real pain in the…you know! This incredibly common problem is often your gut's way of saying something is not quite right, physically or emotionally. You might be visiting the bathroom far less frequently than you would like, or your stools might be hard and take a long time to pass. You also may have a tight, achy back or a stomach or pelvic ache. These can all be symptoms of a backup in your digestive system. Constipation affects just about everyone at some point. The usual culprits are a crappy diet (sorry, we can’t resist a pun), lack of exercise, stress and anxiety, certain medications (especially pain relievers), and thyroid and other disorders. To get things moving, try eating a nutritious, high-fiber diet (heavy on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes, like beans and lentils), exercising more, staying hydrated, and using a bulk-forming fiber supplement. Other options include colonics, senna, aloe, and acupuncture. If these steps don’t give you relief, talk to your practitioner about your situation. (And don’t be embarrassed; trust us, they’ve heard it all.)
Recent posts about Constipation
hey, I know I’m not very active on this portal. I prefer to talk face to face with people. just want to share something: I’ve been feeling awful, and I didn’t realize I was dealing with possible fecal impaction and constipation, but I took a strong laxative, and I slowly detoxing, so to speak, and I feel better. sometimes it just helps to pretend you’re going for a colonoscopy, and just clean it all out. 👍🏽
hi wana friends 💛 i was recently put on linzess for chronic constipation and i’m about a week and a half in and for the past two days have been super distended and incredibly uncomfortable. i feel absurdly full after one small meal and feel like vomiting the rest of the day. any suggestions?
Hey everybody I’m new here. I hope I’m doing this right. Who here has been on the anti depressant Cymbalta long or short term and now has chronic constipation issues that will not go away? Have you ever found help or a solution for it?
My GES came back normal and my GI doctor doesn’t want to do any more tests for a while, even though I’m severely constipated and can’t eat without so much pain. Tired of this
- National Institute on Aging. Concerned About Constipation? National Institute on Aging. Concerned About Constipation?
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Constipation. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Constipation.
- Mayo Clinic. Constipation. Mayo Clinic. Constipation.
- Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Complementary and alternative therapies for chronic constipation. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Complementary and alternative therapies for chronic constipation.
- Journal of Wound, Ostomy & Continence Nursing. Prevalence of constipation in the general adult population: an integrative review. Journal of Wound, Ostomy & Continence Nursing. Prevalence of constipation in the general adult population: an integrative review.
- The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. The Influence of electro-acupuncture stimulation to female constipation patients. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. The Influence of electro-acupuncture stimulation to female constipation patients.