If you have a chronic illness, this symptom probably needs no introduction. Whether you have chronic fatigue syndrome (which some researchers believe may be triggered by a virus like Epstein-Barr) or fatigue related to mold illness, fibromyalgia, or Lyme, this symptom can really throw a wrench into your routines. Fatigue can manifest itself in many ways, from muscle weakness to chronic tiredness to depression. It’s basically the mother lode of symptoms that makes you want to crawl back into bed and never leave…except that doesn’t usually help either! Factors associated with fatigue include taking certain medications (such as antidepressants, antihistamines, and medicines for nausea and pain), having medical treatments like chemo or radiation, a lack of certain vitamins and minerals in your diet, consuming too much alcohol or caffeine, or the obvious culprit—staying up too late and/or not getting enough sleep! (And hey, we know that sleep is sometimes hard to come by, so no shame.) Since fatigue is a symptom, treatment depends on what’s causing it, so try to tackle the root cause. There’s some positive news here: a lot of natural treatments can soothe fatigue and promote overall healing. If you want to go the supplement route, you can try replenishing your body with the vitamins and nutrients it might be lacking by taking iron, vitamin B-complex, magnesium, or potassium. Massage, infrared saunas, ginseng, and BEMER mats may also be helpful (and funnily enough, many of these treatments involve lying down—woohoo!). You might also find comfort by using essential oils, avoiding caffeine and stimulants, and making sure you get enough rest and social support. That last one is super important, given how isolating invisible illness can be. But social support is critical for healing, and that’s why we’re all here.
Recent posts about Fatigue
How do deal with your period during all you go through with this? I try to keep up with the usual, salt intake, electrolytes,water and such. However with the blood loss, and cramps I'm extra weak, fatigued and lightheadedness. Also increase in feeling faint. The salt intake is heck on cramps and it's hard enough with keeping up with water without the period. What do you do? I had a heck of a time keeping my blood pressure up last night, I really felt like I needed something more.
started with nausea and loss of appetite for abt two wks, vomiting once. CT came back with swollen lymph nodes in abdomen. The nausea mostly went away and started having severe joint/bone pain in random areas as well as really horrible fatigue. It’s been a month and a half. ANA came back positive 1:180, ALT keeps fluctuating between high and normal, and Lyme reflex came back normal. Now borderline high platelets and RBC. Anyone have any leads? I need my life back
living situation , car, family, health, mental,I can’t catch a break and I’m tired... I can’t wait on y’all “god” June 10 2021🥀🖤deadline
...it definitely doesn’t love me. 😅 I’m still exhausted today, but I have so much I need to get done. Screw CFS lol. Y’all with chronic fatigue, help a sista out? Give me your best tips! 😂💛
Anybody else really fighting extreme exhaustion the past few days? I put in a load of laundry and had my coffee...but I think I need more coffee, because I can’t seem to do much more. Chronic fatigue syndrome be kicking my butt today. 😭
- MedlinePlus. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. MedlinePlus. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- MedlinePlus. Fatigue. MedlinePlus. Fatigue.
- Int J Ther Massage Bodywork. Impact of Massage Therapy on Fatigue, Pain, and Spasticity in People with Multiple Sclerosis. Int J Ther Massage Bodywork. Impact of Massage Therapy on Fatigue, Pain, and Spasticity in People with Multiple Sclerosis.
- Nutrients. Magnesium in Prevention and Therapy. Nutrients. Magnesium in Prevention and Therapy.
- Live Science. Iron Supplements May Ease Women’s Fatigue. Live Science. Iron Supplements May Ease Women’s Fatigue. (7/2012) (7/2012)
- J Altern Complement Med. Effect of BEMER magnetic field therapy on the level of fatigue in patients with multiple sclerosis J Altern Complement Med. Effect of BEMER magnetic field therapy on the level of fatigue in patients with multiple sclerosis
- Journal of Psychosomatic Research. The effects of repeated thermal therapy for two patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. The effects of repeated thermal therapy for two patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.
- JRSM. Vitamin B status in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. JRSM. Vitamin B status in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.