If you have a chronic illness, this symptom probably needs no introduction. Whether you have chronic fatigue syndrome (which some researchers believe may be triggered by a virus like Epstein-Barr) or fatigue related to mold illness, fibromyalgia, or Lyme, this symptom can really throw a wrench into your routines. Fatigue can manifest itself in many ways, from muscle weakness to chronic tiredness to depression. It’s basically the mother lode of symptoms that makes you want to crawl back into bed and never leave…except that doesn’t usually help either! Factors associated with fatigue include taking certain medications (such as antidepressants, antihistamines, and medicines for nausea and pain), having medical treatments like chemo or radiation, a lack of certain vitamins and minerals in your diet, consuming too much alcohol or caffeine, or the obvious culprit—staying up too late and/or not getting enough sleep! (And hey, we know that sleep is sometimes hard to come by, so no shame.) Since fatigue is a symptom, treatment depends on what’s causing it, so try to tackle the root cause. There’s some positive news here: a lot of natural treatments can soothe fatigue and promote overall healing. If you want to go the supplement route, you can try replenishing your body with the vitamins and nutrients it might be lacking by taking iron, vitamin B-complex, magnesium, or potassium. Massage, infrared saunas, ginseng, and BEMER mats may also be helpful (and funnily enough, many of these treatments involve lying down—woohoo!). You might also find comfort by using essential oils, avoiding caffeine and stimulants, and making sure you get enough rest and social support. That last one is super important, given how isolating invisible illness can be. But social support is critical for healing, and that’s why we’re all here.
Recent posts about Fatigue
I am melting down. I cannot take the isolation anymore. I am lonely and the severe fatigue make me feel like I am circling the drain. I just want to scream.
some times I get in this depressive mood like what am I gonna do for the next 20-40 years but like I guess be gay n shit like have a wife bake cookies watch movies n stuff but also I get scared that I'll get tired of it all even at the best part and also scared my gfs will live a lot longer than me and like what if we do want to be together and like what if I die and we're like married or some shit what would that be like for her or whoever else I may be with at that time??
so tired 😴 I got enough sleep last night but I woke up feeling really dizzy and weak, with a really bad headache. I feel like I barely have enough energy to stand up right now.
i keep having auras idk if its the heat or whatever. but it sucks allot. i am so tired of seizures controlling my life i wanna be normals.
Hello everyone 👋 I have a lot of stuff "wrong" with me. Depression, anxiety, MRKH type 2, GRED, heartburn, regurgitation, unexplainable tiredness, constipation and chronic back pain. Just wanting to say hi and that I am glad to be able to connect with others.
- MedlinePlus. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. MedlinePlus. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- MedlinePlus. Fatigue. MedlinePlus. Fatigue.
- Int J Ther Massage Bodywork. Impact of Massage Therapy on Fatigue, Pain, and Spasticity in People with Multiple Sclerosis. Int J Ther Massage Bodywork. Impact of Massage Therapy on Fatigue, Pain, and Spasticity in People with Multiple Sclerosis.
- Nutrients. Magnesium in Prevention and Therapy. Nutrients. Magnesium in Prevention and Therapy.
- Live Science. Iron Supplements May Ease Women’s Fatigue. Live Science. Iron Supplements May Ease Women’s Fatigue. (7/2012) (7/2012)
- J Altern Complement Med. Effect of BEMER magnetic field therapy on the level of fatigue in patients with multiple sclerosis J Altern Complement Med. Effect of BEMER magnetic field therapy on the level of fatigue in patients with multiple sclerosis
- Journal of Psychosomatic Research. The effects of repeated thermal therapy for two patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. The effects of repeated thermal therapy for two patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.
- JRSM. Vitamin B status in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. JRSM. Vitamin B status in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.