Hair loss / Alopecia
Hair falls out naturally on its own (especially as we age), but when it’s coming out in fistfuls it can be alarming. Hair loss can appear suddenly or gradually, and it can impact just your scalp or your whole body. First of all, don’t stress! We mean that literally, because stress is one of the culprits behind those thin or balding patches, as is anything that messes with your hormones. Hair loss can also be linked to alopecia areata, thyroid disease, anemia, anorexia, vitamin deficiency, skin issues, and countless other conditions and treatments, including chemo. Genetics plays a role, too, and not just for men. Some types of hair loss are permanent. But it’s important to know that hair often grows back on its own, and there are lots of conventional medications and herbal supplements that can help stimulate growth. Prescription finasteride (Propecia) pills and nonprescription minoxidil (Rogaine) lotion or foam treat hereditary baldness. A promising new option called platelet-rich plasma (PRP) involves drawing blood, using a special machine to separate the red blood cells from the plasma, and directly injecting the plasma (rich in platelets that contain growth factors) into the hair follicles to stimulate new hair growth. As for natural options, ginseng, lavender, and peppermint are just some of the wonderful-smelling ones out there. Of course, a hat, scarf, or even a super-stylish wig can help get you through a period of hair loss. And remember: your appearance absolutely doesn’t define you, but it’s also perfectly normal to feel anxious or bummed about a symptom like this. Your WanaFam gets it, and we’re here for you!
Recent posts about Hair loss / Alopecia
Hey wanafam! Has anyone who experienced hair loss (a temporary thing due to hormones and stress) used a red light helmet and if successful, which brand? I’m considering Irestore and Theradome and would love input!
does anyone know of a way to stop hair loss? I have dandruff and clumps of hair coming out out, and coming out in the shower. peace and love
Has anyone had oxalate (and/or histamine) issues and changed their diet to a low oxalate/histamine diet and then experienced mysterious symptoms (ie- hair loss, constipation, increase in neurological issues etc) as a result of oxalate dumping? If so, what’s helped? thanks wanafam💚
I've been struggling with hair loss and hot flashes as well as hormonal acne. I'm leaning that it may be linked to my Nexplanon implant. Has anyone had this issue?
My hair has been falling out for the past 5 years and I don’t know what to do. I’ve noticed that the volume of my hair has significantly decreased, and whenever I gently run my fingers through my hair a couple of strands fall out. I’ve also noticed that my hairline is starting to recede. I’ve already visited 3 dermatologists and they didn’t do anything to fix my condition. I’ve tried everything from taking multivitamins to using hair oils that claim to “stop hair loss”. Any advice would be great
- American Academy of Dermatology. Do you have hair loss or hair shedding? American Academy of Dermatology. Do you have hair loss or hair shedding?
- American Academy of Dermatology. Hair loss. American Academy of Dermatology. Hair loss.
- International Journal of Molecular Sciences. Hair-growth potential of ginseng and its major metabolites: a review on its molecular mechanisms. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. Hair-growth potential of ginseng and its major metabolites: a review on its molecular mechanisms.
- Mayo Clinic. Hair loss. Mayo Clinic. Hair loss.
- Skin Appendage Disorders. Complementary and alternative treatments for alopecia: a comprehensive review. Skin Appendage Disorders. Complementary and alternative treatments for alopecia: a comprehensive review.
- Stem Cells Translational Medicine. The effect of platelet-rich plasma in hair regrowth: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Stem Cells Translational Medicine. The effect of platelet-rich plasma in hair regrowth: a randomized placebo-controlled trial.