Hearts fluttering sounds so romantic, doesn’t it? The truth is, if your heart is racing, galloping, or thudding, especially if you feel it in your throat as well as your chest, you've got heart palpitations—and that can be a bit unsettling! If your heart is beating faster than usual or pumping extra hard, it could be totally harmless—but it could also be something you want to get checked out. Lots of things can trigger heart palpitations, including exercise, a super-caffeinated cup of coffee or energy drink, a scene from a scary movie, stress, anxiety, a heart condition like atrial fibrillation, or postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS). Heart palpitations that happen often and for no reason, or won't go away, can sometimes indicate an underlying condition. Autoimmune diseases like psoriasis, lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis (RA), for example, increase your risk for heart disease, because they cause accelerated atherosclerosis (aka hardening of the arteries) and coronary artery disease, which can lead to heart palpitations and other symptoms. If you've got this symptom, check in with your practitioner to find out why, exactly, your heart won't stop fluttering. If it’s not due to heart disease or another medical condition, try to avoid triggers that cause your heart rate to rise—like caffeine, stimulant drugs, and stress. Relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, or deep breathing can help. If you have any doubt about whether to take this symptom seriously, remember that it’s always a good idea to play it safe when it comes to your heart. (That’s not dating advice—we mean it literally!)
Recent posts about Heart palpitations
So I am 8 weeks postpartum. I was a high risk pregnancy with HG, epilepsy, and a history of cancer. They put my IUD in at my sons birth and I developed Pelvic inflammatory disease. I had the IUD removed. Ever since I was 20 weeks pregnant I’ve had hot flashes where I get dizzy and confused with heart palpitations then I get cold and nauseous. they still haven’t gone away. anyone had a similar experience???
how do you know if you have Lyme ? it is said that some cases it doesn’t show. how can you pin point when you have other problems ? I’ve had diarrhea for over a month obviously with a lot of anxiety and depression. along with it. I’ve been having a lot of heart palpitations, muscle twitching. headaches and facial muscle twitching. today I’m actually having some jaw pain. now I’ve had a ekg & blood test though I am thinking of re doing the blood test.
hi, I suffer from anxiety and currently I'm having heart palpitations and I'm struggling to breathe and my chest feels super tight. any remedies or advice
Is it normal to have heart palpitations for almost a year and still no result for what caused them?? I’m Pretty concerned cause idk what to do to stop them completely
- StatPearls. Palpitations. StatPearls. Palpitations.
- Cureus. Psoriasis and cardiovascular diseases: A literature review to determine the causal relationship. Cureus. Psoriasis and cardiovascular diseases: A literature review to determine the causal relationship.
- Mayo Clinic. Heart palpitations. Mayo Clinic. Heart palpitations.
- Cleveland Clinic. Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). Cleveland Clinic. Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS).
- J Clin Med Res. The increased cardiovascular risk in patients affected by autoimmune diseases: Review of the various manifestations. J Clin Med Res. The increased cardiovascular risk in patients affected by autoimmune diseases: Review of the various manifestations.