Neck pain or stiffness
Ouch! It hurts to turn your head, roll over in bed, and even move your neck evvvver so slightly. Neck pain and stiffness is a common complaint, and may be due to strains, overuse (don’t hunch over your devices all day!), arthritis, or injury (whiplash is a common one). Still, even though a stiff neck is common, it’s also one of the first Lyme symptoms that many people notice, especially if they didn’t get any flu-like symptoms at onset. Neck pain can also occur with fibromyalgia and acute/serious conditions like meningitis, so it doesn’t necessarily signal Lyme. Either way, this symptom is quite literally a pain in the neck! If you have a sudden high fever along with neck pain, head for an ER or urgent care right away to rule out something serious like meningitis, especially if you also have other symptoms like headache, nausea, and vomiting. Or, if your neck pain is linked to a chronic condition, try acupuncture, craniosacral therapy, and infrared sauna for relief. Simple lifestyle changes may also help—use good posture; make sure your work desk, keyboard, and monitor are properly aligned and at the right height for you; don’t carry a heavy bag with a strap on one shoulder; and try sleeping on your back with a small rounded pillow under your neck and a flatter one supporting your head. Also, keep in mind that neck pain, like everything else, is worse when you’re stressed. We know it’s easier said than done, but if you can take steps to minimize the stress you’re feeling, your neck pain may ease up too.
Recent posts about Neck pain or stiffness
New here. Feeling horrible. Sick since Nov. Exhausted, sweating off and on, drenching night sweats, horrible asthma/productive cough. Then last 2 weeks pupil issues, double vision. Went to primary dr who has me coming back for a TB test Tues, referral to eye dr & neuro, and blood labs tomorrow. I have a horrible headache/neck pain neuralgia issues last 3 days & the word TB was not on my check list today. 😑🙃😕
Was recently told my atlas (C1 vertebrae) is misaligned. It is rotated 10degrees to the left. I have excruciating right upper neck pain&right shoulder painx4 years. Been going to chiro 3 weeks. I’m worse. Is this normal?
Hey everyone! New user here! So I suffered a concussion/whiplash injury September 2019 playing volleyball, and although I went through concussion protocol and was cleared, I continue to suffer from chronic neck pain, headaches in the back of my head, and fatigue. Is it normal to be having headaches 5 months later??
Anyone with colitis that also suffers with severe neck Pain ? I have had a stiff neck for months and nothing seems to help....
- Harvard Health Publishing. Say “good night” to neck pain. Harvard Health Publishing. Say “good night” to neck pain.
- Mayo Clinic. Office ergonomics: Your how-to guide. Mayo Clinic. Office ergonomics: Your how-to guide.
- Mayo Clinic. Neck Pain. Mayo Clinic. Neck Pain.
- Clin J Pain. Craniosacral Therapy for the Treatment of Chronic Neck Pain. Clin J Pain. Craniosacral Therapy for the Treatment of Chronic Neck Pain.
- West J Emerg Med. Severe Neck Pain with Fever: Is it Meningitis? West J Emerg Med. Severe Neck Pain with Fever: Is it Meningitis?
- Trials. The optimized acupuncture treatment for neck pain caused by cervical spondylosis: a study protocol of a multicentre randomized controlled trial. Trials. The optimized acupuncture treatment for neck pain caused by cervical spondylosis: a study protocol of a multicentre randomized controlled trial.