Ringing in the ears / Tinnitus
Most of us have experienced occasional ringing in our ears (hello, loud concerts!). While noise-related ringing in the ears typically fades quickly, some conditions can cause more prolonged ringing. This symptom is referred to as tinnitus, and it’s been linked to anemia, high blood pressure, hypothyroidism, celiac disease, and more. It may also be a byproduct of biotoxins in the body, as we all know that bacteria, viruses, and mold like to cause problems anywhere and everywhere. Tinnitus doesn’t always sound like ringing—it can sound like hissing, buzzing, or even whooshing. Tinnitus can also cause depression and anxiety, but fortunately, there are treatments that can provide relief from the ringing. Some people find feverfew and gingko to be beneficial, while others experiment with hearing aids and sound therapy.
Recent posts about Ringing in the ears / Tinnitus
for the past year and a half I have had this strange buzzing in my right ear. I keep thinking Tinnitus but I’m not sure if that’s the case since it’s more buzzing than ringing. could it still be tinnitus? if so then what treatments do you recommend?
Tinnitus ... for 15 years I have not been able to hear ... nothing. There is a high-pitched hiss (white noise) in both ears. Sugar seems to aggravate it. It never goes away. As a musician / music lover I would rather lose any or all of my other 4 senses. Top docs at MGH Eye and Ear say “we don’t have a clue.” I can’t believe there is no solution.
Anyone else sometimes get a feeling like your eardrum is fluttering/wobbling? And/or tinnitus? ☹️👂
About a year ago I started hearing ringing in both of my ears and still don’t know where I got it from but it’s now starting to impact my sleep and quality of life. At night I hear it clearly but during the days it’s drowned out by the city. Anyone else struggling with tinnitus or found ways to manage or overcome it?
- American Tinnitus Association. Understanding the facts. American Tinnitus Association. Understanding the facts.
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. Tinnitus. National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. Tinnitus.
- Cleveland Clinic. Tinnitus. Cleveland Clinic. Tinnitus.
- Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Pathophysiology and Treatment of Tinnitus: An Elusive Disease. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Pathophysiology and Treatment of Tinnitus: An Elusive Disease.
- J Neurosci. Ringing Ears: The Neuroscience of Tinnitus. J Neurosci. Ringing Ears: The Neuroscience of Tinnitus.