Is that sidewalk…moving? Nope…it’s vertigo! Vertigo doesn’t just make it seem like objects around you are moving; it can also cause dizziness, nausea, and disorientation. Sometimes, it can even feel like the world is spinning. It’s most commonly linked to vestibular dysfunction, a problem in the inner ear, which Lymies may experience in the later stages of the disease. Vertigo can also be triggered by the Epstein-Barr virus, which has been associated with vestibular neuritis or labyrinthitis. Or, it can be a symptom of something called benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), a disorder that occurs when calcium carbonate crystals in the inner ear are dislodged. Medications, such as antihistamines, benzodiazepines, and antiemetics, can relieve symptoms while the cause of your vertigo is being pinned down. Fortunately, many varieties of vertigo can be managed with a treatment known as vestibular rehabilitation therapy. Homeopathic preparations have also been explored as remedies for vertigo, and a technique called systemic desensitization can be helpful, as it aims to calm down the limbic system dysfunction that may be contributing to your dizziness/disorientation. One common tool for systemic desensitization is the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, aka DNRS. If your diagnosis is BPPV, the Epley maneuver, a series of four simple movements performed by a trained practitioner, can reposition the crystals and resolve vertigo. (There’s also a DIY version; ask your practitioner to teach you how to do it.) As with many symptoms, vertigo can sometimes take time to resolve (which, we know, is mega-frustrating), but there are definitely techniques out there that can help you make progress over time.
Recent posts about Vertigo
Does anyone have any recommendations on dealing with vertigo?? it hit me suddenly 3 days ago (extreme vertigo and nausea) out of nowhere & I haven’t been able to get ahold of my doctor. I’m going back to school for nursing and I have classes from 8-5 online. this has been getting in the way. if anyone has recommendations I’d greatly appreciate it!! idk what to do
really hate anxiety. i experience my head hurting and room spinning today. anxiety is affecting my sleep... think it time ask my doc some meds because meditation isn’t doing full job it helps some but through out days im having bad anxiety!
Anyone here with any or all of these problems :( POTS,CFS,PANIC DISORDER) and feels like they are constantly on a boat. It’s the worst when I’m sitting still or laying in bed. It’s sorta like vertigo, sorta just feeling like your moving when your not? It’s different then full on vertigo. Has anyone had similar symptoms? What helped?
Podcasts about Vertigo
- Cleveland Clinic. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). Cleveland Clinic. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).
- Mayo Clinic. Dizziness. Mayo Clinic. Dizziness.
- StatPearls Publishing. Vertigo. StatPearls Publishing. Vertigo.
- Mayo Clinic. May Clinic Q and A: Dizziness caused by inner ear crystals. Mayo Clinic. May Clinic Q and A: Dizziness caused by inner ear crystals.
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. The Epley (canalith repositioning) manoeuvre for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. The Epley (canalith repositioning) manoeuvre for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.
- Journal of Clinical Neurology. Vestibular rehabilitation therapy: review of indications, mechanisms, and key exercises. Journal of Clinical Neurology. Vestibular rehabilitation therapy: review of indications, mechanisms, and key exercises.